Tin Foil Hat Award
The Tin Foil Hat Award
The Tin Foil Hat Award is given to the best representative of paranoia or plain, old-fashioned stupidity in a given week. I formally "award" it during Gongol & Dean, Sunday nights at 9:00 on Newsradio 1040 WHO.
It's called the Tin Foil Hat Award for the method used by the paranoid and just plain nutty who think that sheltering their noggins in aluminum wrap will protect them from those malicious forces who want to manipulate their thoughts. Perhaps the funniest description of the Tin Foil Hat is available at Zapatopi.net.
2004 Award Winners:
- March 14: Miami/Dade police, for secretly photographing and tailing rappers whenever they enter the state of Florida, when it's pretty obvious there are plenty of troublemakers in Miami already
- March 21: The British people, for rejecting Dasani bottled water for being unsafe, when it's nothing but tap water...but not rejecting the tap water itself
- March 28: The people who banned the musical 1776 in Virginia public schools for being too sexual, when it's probably the best way to teach junior high kids about the Constitutional Convention
- April 4: Fundraisers at public radio, who sent me -- ME! -- a fundraising letter criticizing commercial radio, and specifically singling out talk shows
- April 11: (tie) Canada, for banning the sale of baby walkers, even at garage sales, with fines up to $100,000...and an Omaha City Councilmember, for proposing a $500 fine for stores selling non-water-soluble markers to teenagers
- April 18: Senator Tom Harkin, for grandstanding on the issue of putting nutrition labels on fast food
- April 25: Louisiana State Legislator Derrick Shepherd, who wants to smack a fine of $500 on people who wear low-riding pants
- May 2: Catch the next "Gongol & Dean" to find out