1. Would you force your grandmother pay for it?
Public decisions are enacted with taxpayers' money. Taxes are collected from everyone, including grandmothers and poor people. Would you send the sheriff to make them pay for it?
2. Would you trust your opponents with this power?
No party reigns forever. When you're out of office, would you trust the opposition to make these decisions for you?
3. Will this decision make it easier for people to trust one another?
Any decision that erodes trust makes it harder for people to feed their families, since market economies depend upon trust.
4. Have you really done your duty before making this decision?
- Have you read the entire proposal, bill, or ruling?
- Can you explain your decision in 30 seconds?
- Can you explain the pros and cons of your decision in five minutes?
- Can you name three unintended consequences of this decision you've already addressed?
- Have you set an expiration date or sunset provision?