A checklist of things to look for during a home inspection:
- Do all of the light switches work?
- Do all of the power outlets work?
- Do all of the windows open easily?
- Do all of the doors open and close freely?
- Do all of the cabinets and cupboards open freely?
- Do all of the faucets, toilets, showerheads, and drains work?
- Does the sump pump work?
- Do the floor beams visible in the basement appear to be in good condition?
- Does the foundation appear from inside the basement to be free of cracks and water damage?
- Are all of the windows and doors free of water damage or signs of weathering?
- Are all of the windows outfitted with screens?
- Is the perimeter of the foundation free of mud trails or anything that might suggest the presence of termites?
- Is the exterior siding in good condition? Are there portions that will require painting, repair, or replacement?
- Is the yard free of damage from moles, grubs, and other nuisances?
- Are any fences on the property in good condition?