- Buying a house
- Buying a car
- Buying a laptop
- Buying a snowblower
- Computer security
- Computer program updates
- Conducting a home inspection
- Deciding whether to take a new job
- Inspecting a hotel room upon arrival
- Recording computer passwords
- Running a political campaign
- Selecting children's names
- Setting up an Android-based phone
- Decision-making for public officials
- Quotes from all kinds of sources.
- Former front-page quotes. I have an editorial bent and so does my homepage. These quotes have been retired from the homepage but still deserve to be read.
Literature, Movies, and Entertainment
- The reading list. Give or take a few, this list includes every book I've read in the past five or six years. A few of the most significant works I read before that time are scattered in here, but this is mostly a list of the books I've read of my own volition while working on my undergraduate degree and in the time since.
- The movie list. Every movie I can recall having seen. Ever.
- Books and movies others have recommended. If it's one I won't be able to consider myself an educated person without, it's on the "Must Watch"/"Must Read" list. Others fall under the category "what you should read/watch next when you have some free time."
- TV schedules
- Music and musical artists
- Good comedians
- Electronics retailers
- Self-publishing and print-on-demand services
- Self-storage sites and units in and around Des Moines
- The Money Scale. A comparison chart to help put big, vague dollar amounts in perspective.
- The Salary Scale. How much a year's work is worth.
- The first ten books you should read about investing
- Traffic rankings for the major business and economics weblogs
- People and groups that reject the study of economics
- Inflated and nonsensical job titles
- People. Not every person I know. Not even every person I know who has a web page. Just people I know who have URL's I can remember.
- Random notes from the days at the University of Northern Iowa
- My competitive running log
- Worthwhile charities
- Micro-versions of major newspapers
- Twitter accounts for Iowa and Nebraska TV, radio, and newspaper sources
- Full-service radio stations
- Ages at which major thinkers achieved significant milestones
- Long-lived organisms (the longevity list)
- Scary thoughts intended to make us consider the changes we often take for granted
- What we need next
- Observations about the Bible
- Things nobody knows for certain
- Random links to this, that, and everything.
- Spammers. I'm fighting fire with fire. Instead of replying to the malicious [bleep]s who send me unsolicited email, I'm posting their email addresses here. And the addresses of their webmasters. And the addresses of their domain contacts. Because I can prove that I never signed up for their services. Ever.
- Best voices in the world
- Reasons to study self-defense
- Web Ghosts: The sites everyone used to visit but doesn't anymore
- Underrated actors
- Twitter lists
- Some favorite buildings in Des Moines