Wise Guys on WHO Radio - February 14, 2015
The WHO Radio Wise Guys airs on WHO Radio in Des Moines, Iowa on 1040 AM or streaming online at WHORadio.com. The show airs from 1 to 2 pm Central Time on Saturday afternoons. A podcast of show highlights is also available. Leave comments and questions on the Wise Guys Facebook page or e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: These show notes may be in various stages of completion -- ranging from brainstormed notes through to well-polished monologues. Please excuse anything that may seem rough around the edges, as it may only be a first draft of a thought and not be fully representative of what was said on the air.
In the news this week
Your role in cyberwarPlease don't tell people where you are when you're there. Wait until you're home.
Street-smart social media
Gadget of the week
You ought to follow...
Dispatches from the flying-car future
Brian's Big PictureShould Yahoo buy CNN?
Politics of technology
- [Q] From Jim in Des Moines: "Can a Vizio VW26L DTV 10L be used as a computer monitor?" [A] The manual for that TV model shows that it has two HDMI inputs and an "RGB PC" connection. The HDMI connection, if compatible with your computer, is probably the easiest route -- HDMI connectors are a lot like oversized USB plugs, so they're intuitive and simple to use. Just be sure that you know how to switch your computer's display from one output to another -- they don't always make the automatic switch to sending the signal out to a new monitor, projector, or television.
- From Larry: I have a very strange problem. I just bought a used iphone 4s. This is my first experience with anything apple so I am very new to the system. My problem is that when I enter a contact for a text message via the voice feature on the phone, the right name and number appears as it is entered but when sent the text goes to a different number that is not even in my contacts (although it is in 515 area code). When I enter the number manually it appears just as it does when I enter it via the voice feature but the text then goes to the right number. The first time I tried this it was through imessage. Then I tried it again with imessage turned off and it did the same thing. (I think the person getting the message by mistake is getting a little irritated with me) Thanks for any help that you can offer.
- From Loren: Is there a way to send a signal from a tv antenna over the coax that has the internet signal from the cable company? The cable company demark is on one end of the house and the cable modem is at the other end. It is not easy to relocate the cable modem neat the demark, then use the interior coax for the antenna signal. It would be easier if the signals could be combined.
- From Ray: "User profile service failed the logon" -- A friend of mine got this error a couple of weeks ago and I helped him fix it by watching a video on Youtube. My question is: why did this happen in the first place? He told me he ran his Norton antivirus the night before and everything checked out. Then the next day, he turn on his computer and this happened. Was it because of the antivirus program or did this error occur for some other reason? Also, is there a way to prevent this from happening again, or will it happen again, without warning? He has a Dell computer with Windows 7. Any and all information on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hearing back from you soon. Have a great Holiday season.
Listen again on-demand
- Podcast of this episode (forthcoming)