Brian Gongol Show on WHO Radio - October 18, 2015
Please note: These show notes may be in various stages of completion -- ranging from brainstormed notes through to well-polished monologues. Please excuse anything that may seem rough around the edges, as it may only be a first draft of a thought and not be fully representative of what was said on the air.
Economic profit and comparative advantage
- Do the most you can of what you do best while giving up the least
- On a personal level: It's not quite the same as "do what you love"
- On a company level: Should McDonald's be serving breakfast all day?
- On a government level: How hard should a municipality try to chase a corporate headquarters? (Chicago stealing ConAgra from Omaha this year; Chicago stealing Boeing from Seattle in 2001; why Microsoft would never leave Seattle for Silicon Valley)
Deflation: Sounds nice until you realize what it really means
- We're seeing it in the Midwest
- It's creeping in nationally
- They got slugged with meaningful deflation in the UK
Tin Foil Hat Award
Shame on Mike Huckabee: A Presidential candidate who wears his Christianity on his sleeve should be positively ashamed of himself for saying of Syrian refugees, "It matters if they’re really refugees escaping terror, escaping potential death, or are they just looking at this as an opportunity to get out of their country and go find the benefits America will provide." First, it's preposterous to suggest that the overwhelming majority of people trying to escape Syria are anything but refugees trying to escape the twin threats of Assad's brutal and soulless dictatorship and ISIS/ISIL/QSIL/Daesh's awful incarnation of a totalitarian regime. Anyone who doesn't know better than that shouldn't be running for so much as dog catcher, much less President. But let's examine the second half of Huckabee's statement: Since when has any voluntary group of immigrants to the United States ever looked for anything other than "an opportunity to get out of their country and go find the benefits America will provide". That's exactly why immigrants have always come here! Huckabee's attitude is toxic and reflects the attitude of a man unfit to be President.