Urgent this week:
- Get the emergency patch that Microsoft released this week for the animated-cursor flaw. It's extremly important. If you're using Firefox, be extremely cautious about what sites you visit. In either case, make sure your antivirus software is up-to-date.
- Another Patch Tuesday is on the way. Make sure to get your Microsoft Updates.
Important to do every week:
- Run a backup of your important computer files and store it in a safe location.
- Update your anti-spyware software and run it. If you need free anti-spyware software, download Spybot Search and Destroy.
- Update your anti-virus software and run it. If you need free anti-virus software, download AVG Anti-Virus.
Other recommended security measures:
- Set up a limited-access user account on your computer and use it for most purposes. Only use administrator mode when installing and uninstalling programs.
- Use Firefox, Opera, Safari, or another web browser other than Internet Explorer. They're easy to install.
Online crook of the week:
- Sometimes the bad guys make mistakes:
It's from these "gimme" mistakes that we can learn safely what to look for when criminals attempt identity theft.
- For the record: 663 spam messages received in twelve hours on Friday, for a Spam Index of 9282.
Other helpful links: