Urgent this week:
- If you use QuickTime (and you probably do), get the update, whether you're a Windows user or a Mac user
- Windows users need to get the set of patches issued for this month's Patch Tuesday
Important to do every week:
- Run a backup of your important computer files and store it in a safe location.
- Update your anti-spyware software and run it. If you need free anti-spyware software, download Spybot Search and Destroy.
- Update your anti-virus software and run it. If you need free anti-virus software, download AVG Anti-Virus.
Other recommended security measures:
- Set up a limited-access user account on your computer and use it for most purposes. Only use administrator mode when installing and uninstalling programs.
- Use Firefox, Opera, Safari, or another web browser other than Internet Explorer. They're easy to install.
Online crook of the week:
- If you've never heard of a service, and it's suddenly offering you lots of money, beware:
If you get a funny feeling about something in an e-mail, there's probably a good reason. If you get five, then you ought to know for sure.
- This week's Spam Index: 6,146
Other helpful links: